- Which LEED AP with specialty exam would be most appropriate for me?
- What are the eligibility requirements to sit for the LEED AP with specialty exams?
- How is project experience assessed within the LEED AP with specialty exams?
- What language(s) is the LEED AP with specialty exams available in?
- How much does it cost to take the LEED AP with specialty exam?
- Can I pay by wire transfer or check for my LEED AP with specialty exam?
Which LEED AP with specialty exam would be most appropriate for me?
The LEED AP with specialty credential equips you with advanced knowledge in green building as well as expertise in a LEED rating system. We offer the following five LEED AP with specialty credentials:
- LEED AP BD+C (building design + construction): Suits professionals with expertise in the design and construction phases of green buildings, serving the commercial, residential, education and healthcare sectors.
- LEED AP ID+C (interior design + construction): Serves participants in the design, construction and improvement of commercial interiors and tenant spaces that offer a healthy, sustainable and productive work environment.
- LEED AP O+M (operations + maintenance): Distinguishes professionals implementing sustainable practices, improving performance, heightening efficiency and reducing environmental impact in existing buildings through enhanced operations and maintenance.
- LEED AP ND (neighborhood development): Applies to individuals participating in the planning, design and development of walkable, neighborhoods and communities.
- LEED AP Homes (residential): Suited for those involved in the design and construction of healthy, durable homes or residential buildings that use fewer resources and produce less waste.
What are the eligibility requirements to sit for the LEED AP with specialty exams?
To be eligible for the LEED AP with specialty exams, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Hold a current LEED Green Associate credential*
Prior LEED project experience is also strongly recommended.
*This requirement is waived if you register for a combination LEED Green Associate/LEED AP with Specialty exam
How is project experience assessed within the LEED AP with specialty exams?
The Test Specifications for each LEED credentialing exam are a result of the data borne from the Job Task Analysis survey conducted in 2013.
In the Job Task Analysis Survey, respondents were asked to assign an importance rating to various tasks that were deemed necessary for a newly credentialed LEED professional to do for the safe and effective practice of LEED. They were also asked to assign a rating to statements that identified what they needed to know in order to do those tasks.
As a result of the survey, important tasks and knowledge areas were identified as necessary for a newly credentialed LEED professional to do and know – these are the exam specifications that are included in the LEED AP with Specialty Candidate Handbook. Further, these components are linked together in each test question. For instance, it is not enough to know what LEED Online is, but rather the candidate will need to know how to use LEED Online. Without ever registering a project, or observing someone register a project, the candidate will not know how to answer the LEED Online questions. Without participating in a charette, the candidate may not be able to answer questions on the integrative process.
By linking tasks and knowledge requirements in a multiple-choice test question, cognitive processes (what you know), as well as skills (what you do), are evaluated.
What language(s) is the LEED AP with specialty exams available in?
The primary language for all exams is English. However, we offer several translation options for each exam. Please see the table below for a complete list of available languages. For candidates who elect to test with an available translation, the exam will be presented with a split-screen. The English question and answer choices will be on the right, and the corresponding translation will appear on the left. The use of translators or foreign-language dictionaries during the examination will not be permitted.
Please note that if you choose to take a translated exam, the Introduction, non-disclosure agreement, and tutorial will begin in English. Once these have been completed, your exam will proceed with the translation.
Please be aware the combined exam is not available in all languages. If you cannot find your language option for a combined LEED Green Associate/LEED AP with specialty, you will need to register to take the exams separately.
- LEED BD+C: English, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, French, Spanish
- LEED AP O+M: English, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, French, Spanish
- LEED AP Homes: English
- LEED AP ID+C: English
- LEED AP ND: English
How much does it cost to take the LEED AP with specialty exam?
See the exam page on the USGBC website for pricing. Your exam registration fee is valid for one exam attempt.
Can I pay by wire transfer or check for my LEED AP with specialty exam?
Yes, please request an invoice from email@example.com. Instructions for payment by wire transfer will be on the invoice you receive. If you have questions or require assistance in order to remit payment, please reach out directly to our Billing team at firstname.lastname@example.org.