- What is Learning Lab?
- How can I tell whether a Learning Lab lesson is aligned to learning standards?
- What is the average length of lessons found on Learning Lab?
- In what languages are Learning Lab lessons available?
- How can I purchase a subscription to Learning Lab, and how much does it cost?
- Is the Learning Lab subscription for a calendar year or 365 days from the date of purchase?
- I want to purchase access to Learning Lab for my organization. How do I share access with my colleagues?
- How do I access my Learning Lab subscription?
- With whom may I share my Learning Lab access?
- What content is included in the Learning Lab subscription, and how often is new content added?
- Can I get a better sense of what Learning Lab lessons look like without a subscription?
- If I don't want to buy a Learning Lab subscription, can I still purchase an individual module?
- Can I download videos posted on Learning Lab for offline viewing?
- Are continuing education credits or certificates of completion for Learning Lab lessons available?
- What is a Learning Lab K-12 Pro Reviewer? How may I apply to become one?
- Where can I view a list of current Learning Lab Education Partners?
- What does it mean to be a Learning Lab Education Partner?
What is Learning Lab?
Learning Lab is USGBC’s online education platform for K–12 teachers to find a robust selection of sustainability curricula. Learning Lab provides teachers and school leaders with comprehensive, project- and STEM-based curriculum (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), encouraging student leadership, sustainability literacy and real-world action. Learn more.
How can I tell whether a Learning Lab lesson is aligned to learning standards?
All lessons in Learning Lab are aligned to at least one relevant learning standard. To view which standard, you must have a Learning Lab subscription. On each lesson page, select the "Assess" tab and scroll to the "Standards Assessment" section.
You can also view a chart of all Common Core State Standards, and all Next Generation Science Standards, supported by lessons in the Learning Lab catalog without an account.
What is the average length of lessons found on Learning Lab?
Lessons in the Learning Lab catalog generally range from 0.5 to 3.5 hours, oftentimes split into multiple class periods.
In what languages are Learning Lab lessons available?
Lessons are currently available in English and Spanish. You may toggle between languages using the drop-down in the site's upper left corner. We expect Learning Lab Education Partners to continue to develop courses in multiple languages.
How can I purchase a subscription to Learning Lab, and how much does it cost?
The Learning Lab subscription – which currently includes over 500 lessons for K-12 educators – is available for purchase for $40/year.
Schools and districts seeking to purchase subscriptions for groups of 5 to 74 individuals receive graduated discounts on this scale:
|# of subscriptions||% Discount|
School systems interested in purchasing 75 or more annual subscriptions receive even greater discounts. Interested in learning more about purchasing large bulk subscriptions to Learning Lab? Contact email@example.com.
Is the Learning Lab subscription for a calendar year or 365 days from the date of purchase?
Learning Lab subscriptions are valid for 365 days from the date of purchase. They're not based on calendar years.
I want to purchase access to Learning Lab for my organization. How do I share access with my colleagues?
At learninglab.usgbc.org/learning-lab-subscription, you are able to purchase any number of subscriptions using a credit card.
To purchase multiple subscriptions and distribute them to colleagues, simply change the number of subscriptions on the purchase page to the amount you want, and the price will automatically update. Once your purchase is complete, you can manage (distribute) subscriptions via your Learning Lab profile account. Simply enter the email address of the individual to whom you want to provide a subscription, and they will receive instructions for accessing their subscription.
How do I access my Learning Lab subscription?
Upon purchase, you will receive an email with access to your subscription. If you are paying with a check, you will receive an email with access as soon as your payment has been received and processed. You can access your subscription at any time on Learning Lab by navigating to learninglab.usgbc.org.
With whom may I share my Learning Lab access?
Learning Lab subscriptions are licensed for individual use and may not be shared.
What content is included in the Learning Lab subscription, and how often is new content added?
The Learning Lab subscription contains more than 500 lessons in English and Spanish that support a sustainable future... and is growing. All modules on the "Browse All" page are a part of the subscription. We expect new lessons from our Education Partners to be added to the subscription on a regular basis throughout the year. Browse content.
Can I get a better sense of what Learning Lab lessons look like without a subscription?
Yes! Our partners have made some of their lessons fully available for viewing without a subscription. Create an account on Learning Lab, then navigate to these modules:
- Introducing Sustainable Intelligence (for elementary, middle and high school grades)
- Wonderful World of Plants (for elementary grades)
- 9-Minute Nutrition Ninja (for elementary grades)
- Earth Waters Our Lives (for middle school grades)
- STEMhero Stage 2: Identify and read real data sources (for middle school grades)
- Waste Eco-Audit (for high school grades)
- Resiliency Among the Salmon People (for high school grades)
- Biomimicry Design Challenge (for high school grades)
- Climate Leaders in Action: Energy Module (for high school grades)
- El maravilloso mundo de las plantas (Para grados elementales)
- La Tierra nos da de beber (Para los grados de la escuela intermedia)
- Ecoauditoría de residuos (Para los grados de la escuela secundaria)
- Resistencia entre la gente del salmón (Para los grados de la escuela secundaria)
If I don't want to buy a Learning Lab subscription, can I still purchase an individual module?
Yes, each module that is included in the Learning Lab subscription is also available for purchase for $10. Costs vary for courses and modules outside of the subscription. Once you have created a user account, login and navigate to a module page to see its price.
Can I download videos posted on Learning Lab for offline viewing?
Are continuing education credits or certificates of completion for Learning Lab lessons available?
Currently, all content on Learning Lab is curriculum designed to be taught to K-12 students. However, we anticipate adding professional development and teacher training content in the future. When we do, we'll make certificates of completion available.
What is a Learning Lab K-12 Pro Reviewer? How may I apply to become one? (¿Qué es un profesionista evaluador de Learning Lab K-12? ¿Qué debo hacer para convertirme en uno?)
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)'s Learning Lab K-12 Pro Reviewers are seasoned leaders in environmental and sustainability literacy for early childhood, primary and secondary-level learners, who provide detailed feedback on content within Learning Lab. Pro Reviewers share their expertise to help users find relevant lessons within Learning Lab and successfully integrate those lessons into their instruction. Additionally, Pro Reviewers’ substantial feedback helps USGBC K-12 Education Partners improve their educational materials and make sure they’re meeting the needs of today’s educators and students.
Pro Reviewers provide in-depth feedback on at least five Learning Lab lessons per year, ideally once the Pro Reviewer has implemented the lesson in a classroom setting. In exchange, Pro Reviewers receive unlimited access to the Learning Lab subscription and recognition on Learning Lab and among peers as a Pro Reviewer.
We encourage individuals to apply who have a mix of the following qualifications:
- Experience with classroom instruction, ideally implementing environmental and sustainability literacy initiatives in K-12 schools
- Experience with curriculum design
- Working knowledge of prevailing learning standards, ideally including environmental and sustainability literacy frameworks
Los profesionistas evaluadores del Laboratorio de aprendizaje Learning Lab K-12 del Consejo de Edificios Ecológicos de los Estados Unidos (USGBC por sus siglas en inglés) son líderes con experiencia en educación ambiental y sustentable para alumnos de todas las edades, de kínder a preparatoria. Además de brindar retroalimentación detallada acerca del contenido de Learning Lab, comparten su experiencia para ayudar a los usuarios a encontrar lecciones que les sean de interés y que puedan integrar exitosamente en su formación. Adicionalmente, su sustancial retroalimentación apoya a los aliados en enseñanza del USGBC K-12 a mejorar sus materiales didácticos para que se aseguren de cubrir las necesidades de los maestros y de los alumnos de hoy.
Where can I view a list of current Learning Lab Education Partners?
View the Learning Lab Partner directory.
What does it mean to be a Learning Lab Education Partner?
Learning Lab Education Partners are leaders, trusted voices and reputable providers of K-12 green building and sustainability education. They are the authors of content on Learning Lab, and you can view all partners. USGBC and its Center for Green Schools support the Learning Lab Education Partner network to make sure they have the resources, knowledge, and skills to produce best-in-class K-12 sustainability education. Partners' content reaches schools around the globe, as USGBC highlights and promotes our partners' education as the go-to source for preparing students to develop sustainable communities, a relevant career, and a fulfilling future.
Education Partners are typically organizations with a track record of designing and delivering K-12 curriculum. However, we encourage individuals to contact us about opportunities to engage and contribute to Learning Lab efforts.
USGBC Education Partners receive several benefits including access to USGBC’s intellectual property, industry data, and marketplace analytics, as well as educational development resources, enabling them to create content that meets the needs of schools and educators.
If you are interested in becoming an education partner, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line "Learning Lab partner."